[Because "Critically thinking about the institution of adoption and examining relevant perceptions regarding adoption practices today" wouldn't really fit on the header.]
Here are some of my most popular [or notorious, depending on how much you appreciate snarkiness] posts on adoption:
Social Justice–working for change in adoption as an institution
MENTAL ILLNESS: Why does it seem adoptees have more mental health issues than the rest of the population? The Troubling Intersection of Mental Illness and Adoption
FUNDRAISING: Why adoption fundraising is icky: Please don’t fundraise for you kid
TERMINOLOGY: “Touched by Adoption,” more like punched-in-the-gut
ADOPTION AGENCIES: (need I say more) One of THE Biggest Problems in Adoption
ETHICAL ADOPTION: The Intersection of Ethical Adoption and PTSD
* * * * *
Adoption Reform–Changing the “Adoption is Only Positive” Perception
Gotcha Day (and why we should remove the phrase from our vocabulary): What’s Wrong with Gotcha Day?
Adoption Kool Aid: What is “adoption kool aid,” and why shouldn’t we drink it?
The Ghost Kingdom: What If? and Ghost Kingdom Mentality–Adoption Glossary Spotlight
* * * * *
Processing the “adoptee experience”
- Connecting “Everything” to the Adoption Experience
- Why adoptees hate secrets and surprises–Why I freaked out about a surprise party.
- The pain of secondary rejection–What happened when I tried to contact my first brothers.
- Shaking out the adoption fog, a conversation with Deanna Doss Shrodes of Adoptee Restoration
- The adoptee paradigm shift–Ready, Set, Go! The Adoptee Paradigm Shift–A Conversation with Deanna Doss Shrodes
- Depression–Keeping depression at bay while searching, a conversation with Lynn Grubb
- But … What do your adoptive parents think?
* * * * *
On International Adoption
Perception of Adoption in Serbia: Cherishing Children
News Update on International Adoption from Serbia: Good News for Adoptees
Orphanages, and why not all kids in orphanages aren’t necessarily orphans: Why Orphanages? Notes on Tough Times and a Bad Economy
Adoption from Russia: Pro or Against Adoption? An adoptee perspective